American Canadian Tour ACT Champion To Be Crowned This Weekend

Discussion in 'National Series' started by Administrator, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Waterbury, VT ”“ The budding rivalry of Dover, NH’s Wayne Helliwell, Jr. and Williston’s Brian Hoar will be settled this Saturday, October 6 in the Rent-A-Wreck Fall Foliage 200 at Airborne Speedway in Plattsburgh, NY. The race will close out the season for the 2012 American Canadian Tour Championship, and will also include the 602 Modified and Renegade divisions.

Point-leader Helliwell will attempt to earn his first American Canadian Tour Championship holding on to an eight-point advantage. To do it he will have to beat out eight-time and defending ACT Champion Brian Hoar, who has kicked it into high gear late in the season and nearly closed the gap. Helliwell and team owner Bruce Bernhardt remain confident in their battle against one of New England’s racing legends.

“We’re pretty confident coming into Airborne,” said Bernhardt. “We finished fourth there last year, and we were very good there in a test session a couple weeks ago. Brian’s been the man to beat, but you can’t be the best if you don’t beat the best. We’ll be ready.”

Hoar likes the sound of a ninth ACT Championship.

“If there was ever a place I feel like I have a home-track advantage, it’s Airborne,” said Hoar. “I really respect Wayne as a racer. I hope it’s just me and him dueling it out at the end of the race, it will just be that much more exciting,” he finished.

But Hoar has seen both sides of the fence.

“The competition this year reminds me of the late nineties when I came into Airborne in some tight point battles. I distinctly remember them because they were ones I didn’t win. You’ve got to lose some to win some,” he said. “One of us is going to come away disappointed on Saturday. It’s too bad, but that’s the sport we’re in.”

The final race to crown the Champion of the American Canadian Tour rolls off this Saturday, October 6 at Plattsburgh, NY’s Airborne Speedway for the Rent-a-Wreck Fall Foliage 200. Interstate 87 to exit 36, take a left, and the Speedway is on the right hand side after a mile. Post time is 1pm.

For additional information head to www.acttour.com, call the ACT office at (802) 244-6963, or email us at media@acttour.com