American Le Mans Series Esm patrón qualifies sixth and 13th at road america

Discussion in 'National Series' started by Administrator, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

ELKHART LAKE, WI* ”“ August 17, 2012* ”“ The Extreme Speed Motorsports (ESM) team heads into Saturday’s four-hour endurance event with well-prepared Tequila Patrón-sponsored Ferraris.* The green and black racing machines will start from the sixth and 13th positions at the Road America Road Race Showcase ”“ the seventh round of American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón competition.
    Johannes van Overbeek took charge and wheeled the No. 01 Tequila Patrón Ferrari Italia 458 around the 4.048-mile track to the sixth position.* In the fierce and highly competitive GT class, van Overbeek’s time of 2:04.994 was a mere half-second off the pace of the GT pole sitter.
    For Saturday’s race, van Overbeek is scheduled to race in the first and last stints while co-driver Scott Sharp will be tasked with the middle section of the race.* Sharp has a winning history at Road America ”“ he won with the Tequila Patrón-sponsored Acura LMP2 race car in 2008 and 2009.
    Racing the No. 02 Tequila Patrón Ferrari Italia 458 to the 13th position on the GT grid was Ed Brown.* During the 15-minute qualifying session, Brown lapped the 14-turn circuit with a fast lap of 2:10.588.
    Throughout today’s practice sessions, Brown continuously improved his lap times and is confident heading into the Saturday race.
    With a similar strategy to the sister No. 01 machine, Brown’s co-driver, Guy Cosmo, is scheduled to start and finish the race, while Brown is scheduled to drive during the middle section.
    In previous endurance-style races this season, the Ferraris have shown strength in long runs and the team and drivers expect a similar performance over the four-hour event.
    Green flag for the Road America Road Race Showcase is on Saturday, August 18, at 3:30 p.m. (ET).
    ESPN2 will air race coverage beginning at 2 p.m. (ET) on Sunday, Aug. 19.* Live race coverage is available from 3:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. (ET) on ESPN3 (domestic) and ALMS.com (international).

Johannes van Overbeek
    “We improved in all the practice sessions today.* But I made a little mistake in the last corner that cost us third place.* We finally got the Tequila Patrón Ferrari to where we are pretty happy with it.
    “The ESM Patrón guys have been working hard all weekend.* It is a long a race and our car has always good on long runs.* I’m looking forward to four hours of duking it out tomorrow.
    “We’re close to where we want the car to be.* Every race this year we’ve showed up really good right off the truck and we didn’t here.* I’m not sure why, but we’ve been struggling a bit all weekend.* One-tenth of a second would have put us in fourth and two-tenths would have put us in third.* It is so close.
    “Even though it is a disappointing starting position, the flip side is the car is fast, it is consistent and the team will do great pit stops and the guys have a great strategy, so we should have a good race tomorrow.
    “I’m looking forward to getting the race going tomorrow.* Then on Sunday I’ll fly home and celebrate my son Brody’s birthday.”

*Ed Brown
    “Qualifying was a lot of fun.* I took three seconds off the fastest lap I’ve ever done here.
    “It is a four-hour race and we’re in good position.* The Tequila Patrón Ferrari is pretty good.* Cosmo and I like Road America and we’ll see what happens tomorrow.
    “Our advantage here at Road America is cornering and braking, but we’re not doing much of that.* There’s cornering and braking in the mid-section of the track but there are also a lot of straight line speed line areas, where I think some of the other GT competitors have a bit of an advantage.* But race day is a whole different story.”

Source:
    Extreme Speed Motorsports

Races:
    Road America Road Race Showcase

More...