American Le Mans Series Goossens and kendall impressive on street course

Discussion in 'National Series' started by Administrator, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Subtitle:
    Late-Race Penalty Only Blemish in Solid Run for No. 93 Viper

BALTIMORE (Sept. 1, 2012) - The journey received a slight bump from the streets of Baltimore during the weekend but the resolve of Team Viper remained steadfast in preparation for its mission - the full 2013 American Le Mans Series season.
    The Baltimore Sports Car Challenge presented by SRT on the 2.04-mile street course presented a difficult test for drivers and racecars throughout the weekend, from practice to the checkered flag.* There were numerous mishaps, everything from spins to major incidents.* It was vintage street racing with plenty of bumps and tight turns.
    Tommy Kendall and Marc Goossens didn't have a problem with the racing surface as they teamed for a strong performance in the No. 93 Pennzoil Ultra SRT Viper GTS-R, running in the top 10 most of Saturday's two-hour timed event.* Kendall took the first stint in the No. 93 Viper before giving way to Goossens.* Goossens was running eighth when the final full-course yellow appeared.* When green-flag racing resumed, only six minutes remained in the timed event.* Goossens made contact with another car in a battle for position.* It was deemed avoidable contact by officials and the No. 93 was assessed a penalty with only two laps remaining.* After a mandatory stop on pit road, Goossens returned to the track to finish 12th.
    "I knew from warm-up the car had pretty good pace," said Kendall.* This is a huge step forward.* At the end of the day, having an incident while you're racing with a Ferrari for position, that's great stuff.* Marc (Goossens) didn't mean to do it.* He got it locked up there and then he just couldn't stop.* This is a milestone for us.* The first milestone was finishing both cars at Mid-Ohio.* Having a car actually mix it up with some of the other cars that have won races is awesome."
    "We're closing the gap every race," said Bill Riley of Riley Technologies which built the two Viper GTS-Rs.* "I'm glad we made another good step forward this weekend.* We're making very good progress but I don't think we're going to feel really good until we're at the top."
    The weekend didn't go totally as planned as the No. 91 Forza Motorsports Viper TS-R was involved in a mishap during Friday's second practice session.* Dominik Farnbacher was passing another car as he entered Turn Nine and took a little different line into the turn.* It wasn't the preferred line.
    "We went out on sticker tires and I had two laps to warm up the tires and then I was basically on a flyer," said Farnbacher.* "I was overtaking a GTC car on the right side going into the right turn.* I took a little bit of a different line than before because I was overtaking the GTC car.* I think on the inside there was one bump which upset the rear.* I lost the rear and I counter steered.* Then I lost it to the other side and the car went basically toward the wall.* I could not save it anymore.* I'm just sorry for my team."
    Prior to the incident, the No. 91 Viper was posting impressive times during the practice session and was looking forward to qualifying.* The team was confident they were positioned for their best starting spot of the season.* However the damage was extensive.* As the team isn't running for points this year, the decision was made to forgo an attempt to make repairs.
    "We had a pretty tough weekend I'd say" said Matt Bejnarowicz, the lead engineer for Team Viper.* "We had a lot of, I guess, drama to the team but I think we ended on a pretty high note.* We made progress the whole weekend and I think the race showed that we are closing the gap on the leaders.* It'll be good to have a little bit of a break here because we've run races every two weeks.* The team has really pushed hard to get us back in the right shape.* We have a little bit of breathing room to assess where we're at and apply what we've learned to make the car go a little bit closer to the lead lap cars.
    Although the No. 91 wasn't on the track Sunday, Farnbacher and Kuno Wittmer are confident the performance of both cars in practice and the 93 in the race are positives for both teams.*
    "We learned a lot this weekend," said Wittmer.* "I'm strongly looking forward to Petit Le Mans.* Dominik and I are very focused and ready for it.* Physically we're ready.* We're in the best shape of our lives and ready to make the best of it.* It's going to be a long race and I guess just as a personal point, it's something I've been looking forward to since the age of 16 to run at Petit.* I think we're going to do well."
    Farnbacher is also looking forward to the team's longest challenge of the year.* "Of course we're looking forward to Petit Le Mans," he said.* "The 93 ran very strong today, the strongest ever.* We're in a range of one second with the competitors.* That was basically our goal for this weekend and we did it.* That's very, very promising for the* next race.* We have another test coming up, so we have a few other things we're going to try out but Petit should be good ground for our Viper.* I think we can set the goal higher than ever."**

Source:
    SRT

Races:
    Baltimore Sports Car Challenge presented by SRT

More...