Waynesfield Motorsports Park, Waynesfield, OH Hall, Bounds, Banks, Hicks, Yoder Win on Championship Night

Discussion in 'Ohio Race Tracks' started by Race Results, Jan 9, 2016.

  1. Race Results

    Race Results Administrator Staff Member

    The final points race of the 2015 racing season went off without a hitch Saturday night at Waynesfield Raceway Park in Waynesfield, Ohio. A threat of rain did not dampen the spirits of the drivers trying to gobble up those last few points. Coming into the weekend, less than 50 points separated the top two podium positions in all five of the weekly classes.

    In the Buckeye Machine Non Wing Sprint A-main, Drew Rader and Steve Irwin led the field to the opening green flag. The drag race into turn one put Rader into the lead. Luke Hall and Dustin Ingle began to battle for the third spot with just two laps into the 25 lap A-main. Irwin was then caught up in the mix making it a three battle for the second spot. The battle would come to a stop when the 87 of Paul Dues went around on the bottom side of turn one. On the restart, Irwin got a great jump to make a run for the lead. Rader would lead the first eight laps before handing the lead to Irwin. Another caution flew for Lee Underwood and Toby Alfrey who connected in turn one. The restart was a great one for Luke Hall as he made a run for the lead. Hall moved from the third spot to the lead in just two laps, setting the fastest time in the A-main. Runner-up in points, Kyle Simon, made his way into second late in the race. Luke Hall came away with the victory. Kyle Simon came home in second with Steve Irwin finishing in third. Paul Dues picked up the hard charger award. Luke Hall and Mike Miller claimed the two heat race wins.

    The Post Agri Service UMP Modifieds 20 lap A-main was led to green by the 45P of Brian Post and the 2B of Darryl Banks. Banks took the lead exiting turn one and led the opening lap. Shawn Valenti found his way into third pushing Philpot back to fourth. The other Philpot, Weasel, brought out the first caution of the event with just a few laps in the books. Valenti took advantage of the new rolling restarts moving into the second spot and ready to challenge for the lead. Banks managed to hold of a surging Valenti until the yellow flag flew again. Bill Keeler went off road racing with just 11 laps remaining. Valenti again put the pressure on Banks coming to the green flag. The field was quickly brought back to yellow as the 0 of Brent Hole made heavy contact with the inside berm causing the passenger side to come off the ground. Brandon Vaughan also got caught up in the spin exiting turn three. The final restart gave Valenti one last chance to get a run on Banks. Coming to the white flag, Valenti was there but could not find the power to completely overtake the lead. Darryl Banks picked up the win and a visit to Tim Hogans Carpet & Flooring of Lima victory lane. Shawn Valenti took second. Zach Schroeder, who surged through the field late in the race, took third. Brent Hole advanced 13 spots to claim the hard charger award. Shawn Valenti, Jamie Philpot, Darryl Banks, and Brian Post took home the heat race victories. Jim Post and Jeff Koz took home the B-main wins.

    The Block Insurance Tough Truck 15 lap A-main saw a large field of 23 trucks take the green flag. The field was led to the opening green flag by the 82 of Kevin Knittle and the 37J of Roy Miller. The field never really took the green flag as a group of cars connected exiting turn three. Trial number two to get the 15 lap race underway put the 20K of Bill Keeler into the lead. A small rain shower watered the track down just a bit making it a little slick as the race got underway. Keeler was not phased as he began to lap the field by lap five. At one point, Keeler was scored 7.5 seconds ahead of the field. That large lead was gone when the yellow flew for rookie driver Janice Hunter. Hunter then spun again on the restart brining the pace of the field down once again. Coming to the restart, Bill Keeler dropped off the backstretch and into the pits giving up the lead to Gabe Twining. The Hicks duo battled for second behind Twining giving him room to breathe. A few cautions and restarts later, Mike Hicks managed to jump into the second spot with his brother Chris jumping into the lead. Chris Hicks picked up the victory. Mike Hicks finished in second and the picked up the hard charger award advancing 20 spots in the A-main. Gabe Twining finished in third. Bill Keeler, Chris Hicks, and John Sanford picked up the heat race wins.

    Nick Glasgow and current point leader David Yoder led the Indian Lake Outfitter Compact field to green. Yoder won the drag race into turn one and led the opening lap. Cody Sanders and James Sorrell began to battle for third with just three laps in the books. The battle was cut off abruptly when Robbie Tuttle went up and over the back stretch banking. Officials lost sight of Tuttle resulting in immediately throwing the red flag. Tuttle drove himself back onto the racing surface with some lighting assistance from safety officials. On the restart, the top four got scrambled around going into turn one. Sorrell, who was in second, came out on the losing end, dropping back to fourth. Harvey Yoder came out on the winning end moving into the third spot and ready to challenge for second. With just five laps to go, Harvey caught up to Glasgow and began to battle for the second spot. When the dust finally settled, David Yoder came away with the victory. Harvey Yoder came home second and claimed the hard charger award. Nick Glasgow came home in third. James Sorrell and Keith Staley claimed the heat race victories.

    The Performance Powder Coating AMSA Mini Sprint A-main started as a shorten race due to impending weather. Anthony Haas and rookie driver Ryan Barr lead the field to the opening green flag. Haas won the drag race into turn one to lead the opening lap. Chris Bounds, who spent his intermission signing autographs in the stands, made his way into the second spot. The only red flag of the event fell on lap four when the 5J of Jake Hesson came to a stop on the topside of turn one. Hesson’s car was reported to be on fire. Cale Stinson also went around in the exit of turn two. On the restart, Chase Dunham jumped into the second spot. The yellow flag that finally ended the event came with just eight laps to go when Cale Stinson came to a stop on the front stretch. Rain began to fall as the field paced making the race complete where they were running at the time of the yellow flag. Chris Bounds picked up the win. Chase Dunham finished in second with Anthony Haas finishing in third. Andrew Heitkamp picked up the hard charger award with heat race wins going to Rod Henning and Jake Hesson.

    Private promotor Dean Miracle will host the final event at Waynesfield Raceway Park Saturday night, September 19th. The ALMS Late Models will make their only appearance of the 2015 season to WRP. They will be joined by the BOSS Non Wing Sprint Cars and a $1000 to win UMP Modified race. All the details on the first ever DTWC Qualifier event can be found online at www.waynesfieldracewaypark.net, on Facebook, and on Twitter by following @OfficialWRP.

    Saturday’s event marked the final event of the 2015 season for the Contingency Connection. For the past two years, Waynesfield Raceway Park has been a Contingency Connection sponsored track, offering drivers additional awards on top of their weekly payouts.

Share This Page