South Buxton Raceway, Merlin, ON Lozon ‘rains’ over wild finish in Sport Stock cChampionship Race

Discussion in 'Ontario Race Tracks' started by Race Results, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Race Results

Race Results Guest

Comp 4 championship, Modified feature rained out

Tyler Lozon ”˜rained’ supreme in a wild finish in the Windride Transportation Sport Stocks season championship race on Saturday night.

Lozon was declared the winner when rain starting falling just as the cars took the green flag for a second attempt at a green-white-checkered finish.

By the time the cars got to turn two, the track quickly glazed over bringing out the caution as Lozon skidded around to the take the checkereds and yellow together.

“I’m glad that called it ”¦ I almost went off the end of the track when they threw the green,” an ecstatic Lozon said.

A few moments earlier, Lozon was running third behind Merlin drivers Eren Vanderiviere and Steve Shaw were headed towards the white flag when the caution came out instead for Willy Vyse’s spin in turn four, setting the stage for a green-white-checkered finish.

On the single file restart, Vanderiviere dove to the bottom of turn one with Shaw right on his back bumper. Contact was made and the leaders hooked together and stopped on the apron in the middle of the turn.

Lozon, seeing Shaw follow Vanderiviere to the bottom, shot to the high side and got around the leaders as they tangled and was in front when the caution waved.

“I couldn’t believe it when that happened,” Lozon said of the contact between the leaders.

“I thought they would give Vanderiviere his spot back but they didn’t ”¦ and that was great for me!”

Lozon said he committed to the high side of the track, long before the race-winning moment.

“I found earlier in the race that’s where my car was running the best,” Lozon said.

“Those two liked the bottom so I just stayed up there and let them do their thing ”¦ and it all worked out the best for me,” said Lozon.

Unofficially, the Wallaceburg rookie Vyse finished second, Essex’s Doris Lajeunesse third, Chatham’s Randy McKinlay fourth while Vanderiviere and Shaw, who restarted at the end of the lead lap cars, finished fifth and sixth.

McKinlay, who restarted fourth, got on the brakes to avoid hitting the leaders but lost two positions as Vyse and Lajeunesse got the wave-by for second and third.

Contrary to earlier reports, cars lined up according to points for the championship race, with Lozon starting on the outside of the two-time points champion Vanderiviere while Shaw started 10th.

The caution waved on lap four when Windsor’s West Bertozzi’s car came to rest on the backstretch wall.

Shaw pitted under that caution and restarted 11th.

Two laps later, the caution came out again when the third-place car of Rob Young suddenly died on the track in turn two, stacking up the field and ending the night for four cars.

Shaw took advantage of the attrition to restart fifth and it took the six-time and defending championship race winner just two laps to move into third and passed Lozon for second with 10 to go.

“When Steve snuck under me, I just stayed back and let the two of them work it out,” Lozon said.

“And it turned out to be the same as last year when they got together battling for the lead,” he added, referring to the 2011 championship race when Shaw took the lead after Vanderiviere and Essex’s Gerald Martin got together seven laps from the finish.

“And it all worked out well for me,” the champion said, with a huge smile.

The feature win was Lozon’s first of the season, as the third-year driver won a pair in 2011.

“I was a little depressed, thinking I wasn’t going to get one (a feature) this year,” he said.

“What a way to get one!”

Lozon credited Jim Ellis and his race team and family for helping get his car prepared for the championship night.

“When I blew my motor two weeks ago, Jim gave me his brand new motor,” Lozon said of Ellis, who parked his car after the second week because of damage the first two race nights.

Lozon said he was fighting a cold all week and wasn’t able to work on the car.

“But Jim and his guys drove here (from Kingsville) every night and got the car ready.

“I can’t thank them enough because I wouldn’t have won this without them,” Lozon declared.

Chatham’s Brad Authier took the lead from Ridgetown’s Dale Glassford on a lap-seven restart and led the final 13 laps for his seventh Glencoe Auto Recyclers UMP Late Model feature.

The night’s final two races - the Tirecraft Comp 4 championship race and the Schinkels Gourmet Meats UMP Modified feature - were both cancelled by the rain.

The Comp 4 championship race will be run on Saturday, Sept. 22 along with the Late Models and Modifieds.