American Le Mans Series Magnussen ready for first ever alms race at vir

Discussion in 'National Series' started by Administrator, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Danville, Va. (Thursday, September 13, 2012): Corvette Racing, Danish star Jan Magnussen and the entire American Le Mans Series is headed to Virginia International Raceway this weekend for the first time this weekend ”“ the flowing 3.27 mile circuit becoming the 24th race venue in the history of the series.

Magnussen and teammate Antonio Garcia head to Virginia after a gallant fight back performance on the streets of Baltimore. Garcia suffered a puncture on the opening lap turn and he and Magnussen charged back through the pack to finish sixth in the short two hour sprint event.

This weekend’s race at VIR is the third to be run over the four-hour race distance this season. The Magnussen/Garcia combo finished second in the first race four-hour event at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca earlier this year but were spun out of another podium finish at Road America after contact with the No.01 ESM Ferrari at the final corner on the final lap.

After eight of the ten races, Magnussen and Garcia are currently second in the GT championship ”“ 28 points adrift of Corvette Racing teammates Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner.

Corvette Racing also leads the manufacturers championship with a 19-point gap over BMW. However with up to 14 hours of racing remaining in the 2012 championship, the title battles are not over.
    JAN MAGNUSSEN Q&A

Q: You’ve raced at VIR a few times before ”“ what are your thoughts on the track?
    A: “I’ve raced in the GRAND-AM series at VIR three times before, driving both prototypes and GT cars.* I co-drove to a win there in 2007 in a Daytona Prototype as well as got a pole position in 2011 in a GT car.
    “I really enjoy the track ”“ it’s interesting and very challenging and I’m looking forward to racing the No. 3 Corvette there.”
    Q: What do you enjoy about VIR?
    A: “The Climbing Esses are really good fun to go through because they’re super-fast and turns 3, 4 and 5 are very tight, slow and technical.
    “The track is pretty long and has a bit of everything, including some big compression, where the car gets very light, similar to Mid-Ohio.* It’s a great place.”
    Q: How do you think that the No. 3 Corvette will perform around VIR?
    A: “When the ALMS had their June test session at the track, Corvette Racing was in Le Mans.
    “So we might be a little bit behind the rest of the GT field when it comes to initial setup, but the guys at Corvette Racing do a great job preparing the cars and coming up with a great initial setup.
    “Based on how the season has gone so far, we should be in great shape at VIR, with very strong cars.”
    Q: Right now you and co-driver Antonio Garcia are in second place in the 2012 ALMS GT championship, 28 points behind the No. 4 Corvette drivers.* What’s your driving strategy for a championship run?
    A: “Anything’s still possible when it comes to the 2012 ALMS GT driver’s championship.* Although we are 28 points back, there are 46 points up for grabs for the last two events of the season (22 points for VIR, 24 points for Petit Le Mans).
    “Of course it’s easy to do the math and see that the No. 3 Corvette will have to be pretty lucky and the No. 4 car will have to have some sort of issue.
    “Our plan for VIR is to give it everything we’ve got and see where we stand after the race, then we’ll see how we’ll take on Petit Le Mans at the end of the season.”
    Q: Corvette Racing is currently first in the 2012 ALMS GT Team Championship and Chevrolet is leading the Manufacturer’s championship ”“ what is the strategy to maintain those leads?
    A: “Those two championships are going well, and we are leading by 19 points over BMW.* The main objective for Corvette Racing as a whole is to win both team and manufacturer championships and under no circumstances can they be at risk, especially for the sake of the driver’s championship.
    “Of course we’ll do whatever we can as a team to make sure we can secure those championships at VIR and we’ll push as hard as we can to make it happen.”
    Q: There are two endurance-style races left in the 2012 ALMS season.* Do you look forward to these versus the sprint races?
    A: “Anytime I can race, 20 minutes to 24 hours, I am happy.
    “The four-hour race at VIR this weekend is going to be very interesting ”“ the length of the race is very good because there’s strategy as well as speed that plays a part in how things go.
    “Then comes Petit Le Mans, nearly 10 hours of racing at Road Atlanta.* It’s one of my absolute favorite races of the year.* Antonio and I will be joined by Jordan Taylor again ”“ a very good lineup for that race.
    “The Corvette Racing guys always give us a solid No. 3 Corvette, and we’ll see if things go our way in the next couple of races.”
    Q: You raced this past weekend in Europe ”“ how did that go?
    A: “Yes, I raced in Sweden, in the Swedish Camaro Cup.* It was a fun event, and I was on pole position and won the first heat race.
    “It’s always a good time and a lot of fun to race over there, but now I’m focused on the VIR race and championship run for Corvette Racing.”

Source:
    Jan Magnussen PR

Races:
    American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón VIR 240

More...