American Le Mans Series Marino Franchitti: Road America Report

Discussion in 'National Series' started by Administrator, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

The weekend had started well with Marino setting the fastest LMPC lap in the PR1/Mathesian Motorsports #52 car at the Road America track on Thursday. Marino’s lap of 1:58.790 was almost one second quicker than his closest LMPC rival, CORE Autosport.

Qualifying on Friday afternoon didn’t quite go Marino’s way, he quickly went to the top of the rankings with his second lap out of the pits setting a time of 1:58.338, but Marino didn’t quite have the speed for pole yesterday, “We didn’t have the pace and balance to compete for pole, I should have been in the battle for second, but I made an error on my best lap,” said Marino. "Still it’s a nice long four-hour race for us to get to the front tomorrow, and we're well up for the challenge."

Marino showed in morning Warm-up that the car was fast in race trim by topping the session times, however the reality quickly turned to a case of déjà vu for Marino here this afternoon. Marino’s co-driver, Rudy Junco, was behind the wheel when the Road America Road Showcase got underway, but after just 51 minutes of green flag racing, Rudy went off at Turn 15. An endplate had broken from the rear wing which suddenly caught Rudy completely unaware, the resulting damage meant the car had to be retired with Marino once again failing to get behind the wheel during an ALMS race.

“Unfortunately we're out,” tweeted Marino shortly after Rudy’s crash. “There’s too much damage to continue, but Rudy is OK which is all that matters."

Having already lost a chassis in Mosport when Ken Dobson crashed the #52 car, it is unclear at present whether the PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports team will be back in time for the next race in Baltimore, but after the quick turn around following the Mosport incident Marino remains positive that the team will once again be using their best endeavours to bounce back and bring out another competitive car.

Source:
    Marino Franchitti PR

Races:
    Road America Road Race Showcase

More...