American Le Mans Series PR1/Mathiasen Rides Momentum To Road America

Discussion in 'National Series' started by Administrator, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Subtitle:
    Just two weeks removed from their first win of 2012

Fresh off of their first victory of the 2012 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón season, PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports returns to Road America this weekend, the site of the team's first ALMS victory last year. Rudy Junco, of Monterrey, Mexico, co-drove to victory earlier this month as well as last year's break out win at the legendary 4.048 mile, 14-turn road course and will be joined once again by Marino Franchitti, of Edinburgh, Scotland. Both victories followed pole position efforts giving the #52 Quest Software/ Aviation Gin Oreca FLM09 a lot of momentum heading into this Saturday's four-hour event.

Junco is looking to capitalize on the team's recent, and historical results.

"It feels great to be coming back to Road America," Junco exclaimed. "I love the track and last year we had a great race car, though we are hoping to have an even better car for this weekend. We do want to keep the momentum going and are definitely hoping we can repeat last year's win. Marino and i have worked very well together and are hoping that we can feed off each other to get better. It should be a really fun weekend."

Franchitti is looking to capitalize on the team's chemistry and his affinity for Road America this weekend.

"Road America is such a fast and fun circuit to drive, it's been a couple of years since I raced there so I can't wait to get on track," Franchitti said. "Rudy and I are hoping the whole PR1 Mathiasen Motorsports team can carry the momentum and success of Mid-Ohio into this weekend and get another victory."

While buoyed by the team's recent results, PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports Team Principal, Bobby Oergel, is ensuring that everyone stays focused and hungry.

"Race wins feel amazing, and they are what we work so hard for every day, every year," Oergel exclaimed. "It's a shame then that once all of the trophies have been awarded and all the champagne dries off your fire suit that it's time to get back to work. But like I said, this is what we live for. So I hope that the paddock doesn't think that we're still patting each other on the back and that we're not as focused, or even more so, than we've been all year. Marino and Rudy are working phenomenally with the engineering and technical staff and the car is primed and prepped to repeat at Road America this year. There's still a lot of laps to be ran this year, and I am confident that the Mid-Ohio victory was just the first of many."

Coverage of round seven of the 2012 ALMS season, the Road Race Showdown at Road America, begins on Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm EDT on ESPN 3.

Source:
    PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports

Races:
    Road America Road Race Showcase

More...